It’s our pleasure to be interviewing Margaret, a children’s book author. Her book, ‘The Adventures of Harry the Inside-Outside Cat’ is currently ranked #2732 on Amazon.
Check out her interview below.
Margaret Segal, Author of “The Adventures of Harry the Inside-Outside Cat”
Harry the Inside/Outside Cat, who lives on the corner of a strip shopping center in a busy town, is beloved by virtually every business owner and customer who shops and strolls that corner. Then, he disappears for 3 weeks. The community that loves him puts out flyers and phone alerts. When he comes back safe and sound, everyone is happy, but very curious and concerned: where did Harry go? And will he disappear again?
A portion of the proceeds from this book’s sales will be donated to the Jackson Galaxy Foundation, which supports the welfare and well-being of cats around the world.
- Where are you from? Philadelphia, PA, but I currently live in Cary, NC.
- Why do you write? To express myself and to respond to the real world in a way that I hope will engage, inspire, entertain, or move others.
- What do you write about? Commentary on the state of the world, everyday experiences that touch, inspire, or even upset me, and now, fun, cute, sweet stories, one of which relates to a real-life cat named Harry.
- Do you have a specific writing style? Actually, no – I’ve written in many different styles, as you can see from my response to the above question.
- What’s the most memorable thing asked/said by a reader about your work? A reader told me that my book about Harry touched her deeply, because she had recently lost her beloved cat, whose name was Timmy, and Harry’s looks and personality reminded her so much of him. She shared that reading my book helped her to reach a sense of closure about her cat’s passing.
- How long have you been writing? Off and on for 25 years.
- When did you first realize you wanted to become a writer? It’s hard to pinpoint a specific “when”, but it probably was when I entered an essay contest many years ago in a local paper where I was living, and it won first prize and was published. I remember thinking, “gee, maybe writing is something I should really get into.”
- How long does it take to write a book? (if you’ve written one -published or non) Harry’s book is my first published book (though I’ve had many other pieces published – essays, poetry, humor, commentary, etc.). It didn’t take a long time, because the story was such a delight it sort of flowed.
- Do you have suggestions on how to become a better writer? Find a balance between motivating yourself in a healthy way rather than putting undue pressure on yourself. Writing is like life – it ebbs and flows, and sometimes you just have to “go with it” and try not to drive yourself crazy about your motivation or productivity level when it comes to your writing.
- What do you think makes a good story? Appealing characters (including the non-human ones, like Harry!), good dialogue, enough action to keep the story going, but also enough quieter moments that can reveal something about the story or character(s).
- What does your family think of your writing? They love it, thank goodness.
- Do you see writing as a career? No – I see writing as a special part of my life that I’m able to interweave with the other parts.
Check out her website page at:
Link to Facebook page:
Link to Amazon: